The Community blog will be at General Assembly, and we can’t wait for everything that will be happening in Indy. We hope to see you there! Here are ten things you won’t want to miss while you’re at General Assembly.
1 See old friends and make new ones: General Assembly brings thousands of Nazarenes together in a wonderful opportunity to catch up with old friends and spark new relationships with others from around the globe!
2. Alumni events: Have you attended, graduated from, or taught at a Nazarene institution of higher learning? Check out the various alumni gatherings our colleges and universities are hosting throughout the week. Be sure to check with your school on specifics in case invitations or RSVPs are needed.
3. The business: Every four years delegates gather at General Assembly to vote on important decisions that affect the future of the denomination. Whether you are a delegate or just a regular attender, you can learn what resolutions are being proposed at this year’s General Assembly here.
4. Young Clergy Network: Most of the organized gatherings are listed on the GA app or the official website, but for those of you involved or interested in the Young Clergy Network, there will be two meet-ups during GA:
Friday, June 23 // 9:30–11:30p // with Dr. Filimao Chambo // JW Marriott, Room 201
Tuesday, June 27 // 9:30–11:30p // with Dr. Deirdre Brower-Latz // Conference Center, Sagamore BR 1
5. World quiz: With General Assembly comes World Quiz, the global gathering of the top children’s quizzers. This event only happens once every four years and is something you will not want to miss. Come and watch as the top children’s quizzers demonstrate their extensive knowledge of 1 and 2 Samuel. World Quiz takes place on Saturday, June 24, in the convention hall.
6. Daily workshops: Leaders, pastors, and scholars from our denomination will be hosting a bunch of different workshops throughout the week that will encourage, equip, and revitalize your passion and knowledge in ministry. You can check out the full schedule and here are just a few you won’t want to miss:
Wednesday, June 21 // 2:00–3:00p // Courage for the Journey: Find a Path of Discipleship with a People in Exile // Jay and Teanna Sunberg
Wednesday, June 21 // 4:00–5:00p // Investing in Younger Generations for the Sake of the Church // Keegan Lenker
Thursday, June 22 // 8:30–9:30a // Middle East Refugee Opportunity // Lindell and Kay Browning
Thursday, June 22 // 9:00–10:00a // Theology of Ordination and Call // Dan Boone, Gift Mtukwa, Tara Beth Leach, and Rob Fringer
Thursday, June 22 // 2:00–3:00p // Scripture as Formation // Mark Maddix
Friday, June 23 // 9:00–10:00a // A Seat at the Table // Jeren Rowell, Tim Gaines, Shawna Songer Gaines, and Brit Bolerjack
Saturday, June 24 // 4:00–5:00p // 9 Things That Lead Pastors Need to Know about Children’s Ministry // Jeremy Bond and Kyle Tyler
7. Get a taste of Indy: While in town, make sure to visit Calvin Fletcher’s Coffee Company, a local, nonprofit coffee shop located a few minutes from the convention center; or, grab a crepe or pastry from Indianapolis’s City Market. After a workshop or service, spend some time enjoying the city.
8. Exhibit hall: From the Kid Zone to the ministry booths to the NPH bookstore, make sure to stop by the exhibit hall for information, interaction, resources, and giveaways!
9. Worship services: If you’ve never experienced a worship service with thousands of your international friends, you’re in for a treat. If you have, you’re probably excited to do it again.
10. The Community Stage: On Friday and Saturday, The Community Stage (located in the NPH bookstore in the exhibit hall) will host discussion panels and round-table discussions. Check out the full schedule below.